• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

14/ After a storm, comes a calm
    Giải thích :

"Sau cơn mưa trời lại sáng"

Things are often calm after an upheaval

Definition of after a storm comes a calm in the Idioms Dictionary by The Free Dictionary

Ví dụ :

Jill: I can't believe how peaceful the office is today, when yesterday everyone was either being fired or threatening to quit.
    Jane: After a storm comes a calm

Comment

15/ All good things must come to and end
      Giải thích :

Mọi thứ, kể cả những điều tốt đẹp chăng nữa, đều sẽ có lúc không còn .

All experiences, even pleasant ones, eventually end.
      Definition of All good things must end in the Idioms Dictionary by The Free Dictionary

Ví dụ :

It's time to leave the party, honey. We've had a lovely visit, but all good things must come to an end.

Last edited by 08520206; 16-12-2011, 15:42.

Comment

16/ All's fair in Love and War
        Giải thích :

Nghĩa đen: Tình yêu và chiến tranh thì đều không có lý lẽ .
        Nghĩa bóng : Đôi lúc không có thứ gọi là công bằng. Người ta thường dùng câu này để biện minh cho hành động của mình

Các bạn xem phần ví dụ để hiểu rõ hơn .

Cliché In some situations, such as when you are in love or waging war, you are allowed to be deceitful in order to get what you want. (Often said as an excuse for deception.)
        Behavior that is unpleasant or not fair is acceptable during an argument or competition.'
        Definition of all's fair in love and war in the Idioms Dictionary by The Free Dictionary

Definition of all's fair in love and war in the Idioms Dictionary by The Free Dictionary

Ví dụ :
        a/I cheated on the entrance exam, but I really want to get into that school, and all's fair in love and war.
        (Tôi đã gian lận lúc kiểm tra, nhưng thực sự tôi rất muốn đỗ vào ngôi trường đó. Đôi lúc cuộc sống là như vậy đấy .)

b/To get Judy to go out with him, Bob lied and told her that her boyfriend was seeing another woman. All's fair in love and war.
        (Để được đi cùng cô nàng Judy, Bob đã nói với cô ấy rằng bạn trai cô ta đang cặp kè với một người phụ nữ khác . Trong tình yêu thì chả có chỗ cho công bằng !)

Cuối cùng, mời các bạn nghe 1 bản Rock mang tên "Love and War" do Drowning Pool trình bày (Một ban nhạc dòng Alternative + Heavy Metal giọng rất bốc lửa, như Sentenced vậy <3 )

Last edited by 08520206; 16-12-2011, 00:27.

Comment

17/ All roads lead to Rome
          Giải thích :

Nghĩa đen : Trước tiên chúng ta tìm hiểu một chút về Đế Chế La Mã này, Rome là một đế quốc vô cùng hùng mạnh và rộng lớn vào trước Công Nguyên đến sau Công Nguyên (khoảng 500 năm) dưới sự cầm quyền của 2 hoàng đế nổi tiếng là Julius Caesar - độc tài quân sự và Trajan - người giúp đế chế phát triển đến cực thịnh . Vào thời kỳ đỉnh cao, diện tích của Rome vào khoảng 6.5 triệu km2 trải rộng khắp Châu Âu .

Hệ thống đường đi của đế chế này một số còn tồn tại cho tới tận ngày nay .
          Với hơn 400 000 km đường đi, 372 đường nối giữa các vùng miền.

Chính vì lẽ đó "Đường nào thì cũng tới Rome" - vì Rome quá rộng lớn .

Nghĩa bóng : Một công việc có thể tiến hành theo nhiều cách. Có nhiều phương pháp cùng dẫn tới một kết quả .
          There are many different routes to the same goal.
          Definition of all roads lead to Rome in the Idioms Dictionary by The Free Dictionary

Ví dụ :
          a/ Mary was criticizing the way that Jane was planting the flowers. John said, "Never mind, Mary, all roads lead to Rome."
          b/ Some people learn by doing. Others have to be taught. In the long run, all roads lead to Rome.

Last edited by 08520206; 17-12-2011, 21:59.

Comment

18/ All that glitters is not gold
            Giải thích :

Nghĩa đen : Những thứ lấp lánh kia chẳng phải đều là vàng đâu .

Nghĩa bóng : Những điều có vẻ hay ho, hấp dẫn không hẳn là những điều tốt đẹp. Đừng chỉ đánh giá mọi thứ bằng cái nhìn sơ sài qua vẻ ngoài .

Glitter trước đây là "glister" - từ này không còn được dùng nữa .
            Just because something looks attractive does not mean it is genuine or valuable. (Often said as a warning.)

A showy article may not necessarily be valuable.

Definition of all that glitters is not gold in the Idioms Dictionary by The Free Dictionary

What's the meaning and origin of the phrase 'All that glitters is not gold'?

Ví dụ :
            a/ Hollywood may look like an exciting place to live, but I don't think you should move there. All that glitters is not gold.
            b/ I know Susie is popular and pretty, but don't befooled by that. All that glitters is not gold.

*befooled : bị mê muội
            Last edited by 08520206; 18-12-2011, 14:42.

Comment

19/ All works and no play makes Jack a dull boy
              Giải thích :

Nghĩa đen : Jack ở đây là tên người, chỉ có học hành - làm việc mà không giải trí là điều không tốt [-x

Hard work without time for recreation is not good for one's health
              (health : both mental and physical health ^^)

1 điều rất thú vị là có loại virus tên Sunday , nó sẽ in ra màn hình dòng chữ "Today is Sunday! Why do you work so hard? All work and no play make you a dull boy! Come on! Let's go out and have some fun!" Sau đó sẽ xóa sạch các file đang chạy .

Ví dụ :
              + You should not go to work this weekend. All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy.
              Last edited by 08520206; 20-12-2011, 23:23.

Comment

20/ All's well that ends well
                Giải thích :

Điều tạo nên một kết thúc (kết quả )tốt đẹp, thì đó là điều tốt . Câu này ám chỉ kết quả mới là quan trọng .

If the end result is good, then everything is good.
                What does the idiom 'All's well that ends well' mean? Discover the definition of 'All's well that ends well' in our extensive dictionary of English idioms and idiomatic expressions.

Ví dụ :
                Damn, you cut the class ten times this semester, but you still got A+ .
                - I spent my time studying at home, instead of going to school and sleep . Anyway, all's well that ends well .

Comment

21/ An apple a day keeps the doctor away
                  Giải thích :
                  Câu này nói về công dụng của trái cây , quả táo rất bổ dưỡng, nên nếu ăn nó hàng ngày thì bạn chẳng cần gặp bác sĩ làm chi .

Apples are so nutritious that if you eat an apple every day, you will not ever need to go to a doctor
                  Eating healthy food keeps you healthy.

Ví dụ :
                  Grandma always fed us lots of apples when we visited her. She believed that an apple a day keeps the doctor away.
                  Last edited by 08520206; 27-12-2011, 13:49.

Comment

22/ April showers bring May flowers
                    Giải thích :

Mưa tháng Tư mang hoa tháng Năm . Sau những cơn mưa khó chịu của tháng Tư, những bông hoa sẽ xinh đẹp sẽ mọc lên vào tháng Năm.
                    Mình tạm dịch sang tiếng Việt là : "Qua cơn bĩ cực đến hồi thái lai" vì 2 câu này có ý nghĩa tương đồng .

Although rain in April is annoying, it starts the flowers growing.
                    Ví dụ :
                    Child: I hate all this rain. Why does it have to rain? Mother: April showers bring May flowers.
                    Although it was a dreary, rainy day, we felt cheerful, since April showers bring May flowers.

--------------------

23/ As soon as man is born, he begins to die.
                    Giải thích :

Khi một người sinh ra cũng là lúc người ấy đang chết đi.
                    Câu này nói về sự tồn tại của con người - không phải là bất diệt .

Hãy chắt chiu thời gian và cân bằng cuộc sống nhé các bạn

The process of dying starts at birth. This saying reminds us of our own mortality, whatever our age..

^_^
                    As soon as the train leaves the station, it heads for its destination. Death is the destination of the train of life we all travel in. We board that train when born and start travelling towards the destination of our death. During the journey, we have co-passengers, some very close neighbours and some travelling in distant compartments. In the train, people spend time happily together as well as sometimes quarreling for the accomodation. In life too, we live happily and sometimes quarrel for the property. Once the destination is reached, we lose contact of the co-passengers as we do on dying losing the contact of close relatives and friends.

In short, life is a journey towards death and we begin to reach closer to it as soon as born.
                    Some die early and some live longer as in the train some have tickets for shorter distance and their destination is nearer and some are long distance travellers.

Latest news coverage, email, free stock quotes, live scores and video are just the beginning. Discover more every day at Yahoo!

Comment

Originally posted by 08520206 View Post
                      Everyday, right here is this topic, I will post one or some proverb(s) . And explain them by Vietnamese . Proverbs are the sentence
                      A good idea, but why explain by Vietnames?, I thing you should explain it by English

Comment

Originally posted by 08520521 View Post
                        A good idea, but why explain by Vietnames?, I thiNK you should explain it by English
                        If you take a look at every post, I explained a proverb by English (in quotation - you know why ? - because it's a definition from native speaker)
                        Also, I explained it by Vietnamese - so even novice can understand what I'm talking about.

Don't take every word I said seriously like that, It might cause your misunderstanding :P.
                        Once again, I explain Proverb by English - and Vietnamese .
                        Last edited by 08520206; 24-12-2011, 00:57.

Comment

Originally posted by 08520206 View Post

^_^
                          As soon as the train leaves the station, it heads for its destination. Death is the destination of the train of life we all travel in. We board that train when born and start travelling towards the destination of our death. During the journey, we have co-passengers, some very close neighbours and some travelling in distant compartments. In the train, people spend time happily together as well as sometimes quarreling for the accomodation. In life too, we live happily and sometimes quarrel for the property. Once the destination is reached, we lose contact of the co-passengers as we do on dying losing the contact of close relatives and friends.

In short, life is a journey towards death and we begin to reach closer to it as soon as born.
                          Some die early and some live longer as in the train some have tickets for shorter distance and their destination is nearer and some are long distance travellers.

http://in.answers.yahoo.com/question...9004822AA8Iadc
                          I like the story ^^
                          While running in some examination part (for example speaking part 3 IELTS or writing part 2 IELTS), I can use some story to help me xD (if needed)

Sẵn hỏi anh luôn là: khi nào thì be dính với trạng từ hoặc tính từ kế nó ? Như befooled (be fooled), becareful (be careful), ... cái này hình như ko có luật nào thì phải :-s
                          Last edited by 09520019; 24-12-2011, 03:22.
                          Khoảng cách giữa bạn và ước mơ của bạn là bao xa ?

Comment

Originally posted by 09520019 View Post
                            I like the story ^^
                            While running in some examination part (for example speaking part 3 IELTS or writing part 2 IELTS), I can use some story to help me xD (if needed)

Sẵn hỏi anh luôn là: khi nào thì be dính với trạng từ hoặc tính từ kế nó ? Như befooled (be fooled), becareful (be careful), ... cái này hình như ko có luật nào thì phải :-s
                            Well, I guess this article will answer your question perfectly ^.^ . They call them Anglo Saxon Prefixes
                            That's a really good question, thank you !

This book is an useful resource, I found the answer here, before reading the article above http://books.google.ca/books?id=q4gS...eloved&f=false
                            Last edited by 08520206; 24-12-2011, 11:38.

Comment

24/ As you make your bed, so you must lie on (upon) it
                              Giải thích :
                              Dịch kiểu thời nay 1 chút : "Có chơi có chịu"
                              Bạn phải chịu trách nhiệm với những việc mình làm, câu này mang nghĩa khiển trách khi nói với người khác .

One has to live with the consequences of one's actions, and one has to take the responsibility for them
                              Domain for Sale. IdiomCenter.com. Request Price. What Are the Advantages of a Super Premium .Com Domain? Increased Traffic. Search Engine Ranking. Brand Recognition. Immediate Presence. Higher Profits. Great Investment. #1 in Premium Domains. 300,000 of the World's Best .Com Domains.

You have to suffer the consequences of what you do. (Often used as a rebuke.)
                              Definition of as you make your bed, so you must lie on it in the Idioms Dictionary by The Free Dictionary

Ví dụ :
                              a/Tom insisted on taking a trip to Florida in August, after we all told him how hot it was then. Now that he's there, all he does is complain about the heat. As you make your bed, so you must lie upon it.

b/You were the one who chose these house painters because they were cheap. I told you they'd do a terrible job. As you make your bed, so must you lie on it.

---

25/ As you sow, so shall you reap
                              Giải thích :

Rất tương đồng với câu "Gieo gì gặt nấy" của Việt Nam cả về nghĩa đen lẫn bóng .

Your deeds, good or bad, will repay you in kind.
                              if you do bad things to people, bad things will happen to you, or good things if you do good things.
                              if you did bad things in the past, you will get bad results in the future
                              if you did good things in the past, you will get good results in the future

Ví dụ :
                              a/ That man was a criminal a few years ago, and now he’s in jail. As you sow, so you shall reap.

b/ Mary was always kind to everyone. She volunteered, gave money to charity, and helped the homeless. As you sow, so you shall reap. She just won the lottery!
                              Last edited by 08520206; 31-12-2011, 23:17.

Comment

26/ Ask no questions and hear no lies
                                Giải thích :

Nếu không muốn nghe lời nói dối thì tốt nhất là đừng hỏi . Câu này được dùng khi không muốn trả lời người khác điều gì đó .

If you ask me that, my answer might not be the truth. (Implies that you will likely tell a lie, because you do not want to tell the truth.)
                                A sarcastic way of saying,"just don't fucking ask."

Definition of ask no questions and hear no lies in the Idioms Dictionary by The Free Dictionary

Ví dụ :
                                a/ What am I going to give you for your birthday? Ask no questions and hear no lies.

b/ Maybe I like Greg, and maybe I don't. Ask me no questions, I'll tell you no lies.

---

27/ Bad news travels fast
                                Giải thích :

"Tiếng xấu đồn xa" - những điều không hay, không tốt, xì(sờ)-căng-đan (Scandal) thường được truyền đi rất nhanh qua các phương tiện thông tin đại chúng và giao tiếp hàng ngày .

People are quick to discuss the misfortunes of others.
                                The world's leading online dictionary: English definitions, synonyms, word origins, example sentences, word games, and more. A trusted authority for 25+ years!

Information about trouble or misfortune disseminates quickly (more quickly than good news)
                                Definition of bad news travels fast in the Idioms Dictionary by The Free Dictionary

Ví dụ :
                                a/ John: Hi, Andy. I'm sorry to hear you got fired. Andy: How did you know about that already? It only happened this morning. John: Bad news travels fast.

b/I called my mother to tell her about my car accident, but my aunt had already told her. Bad news travels fast.

__Chúc các bạn ăn Tết Tây vui vẻ __
                                Last edited by 08520206; 08-01-2012, 16:54.

Comment

LHQC

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X