Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

28/ Save it for a rainy day
    Giải thích :

save (something) for a rainy day and put something aside for a rainy day; hold something back for a rainy day; keep something for a rainy day
    Fig. to reserve something--usually money--for some future need.
    I've saved a little money for a rainy day. Keep some extra allowance for a rainy day.
    See also: day, save

(McGraw-Hill Dictionary of American Idioms and Phrasal Verbs. © 2002 by The McGraw-Hill Companies, Inc.)
    save (something) for a rainy day
    to keep an amount of money for a time in the future when it might be needed She has a couple of thousand pounds kept aside which she's saving for a rainy day.

dành dụm phòng khi túng thiếu, tích cốc phòng cơ (theo tratu.vn)

Definition of save for a rainy day in the Idioms Dictionary by The Free Dictionary

Ví dụ :

1/ They made little effort to put anything aside for a rainy day.

2/ Take this, my friend . You're going to need that money for a rainy day.

Last edited by 08520206; 11-01-2012, 14:14.

Comment

hỏi anh Long cậu này phát: anh Long có cái nào giải thích nguồn gốc của idom ko ? (Ko cần quá chi tiết), vì em mới gặp câu này:

"Let's go out and paint the town red":
      paint the town red (informal)
      to go out and enjoy yourself in the evening, often drinking a lot of alcohol and dancing
      Jack finished his exams today so he's gone out to paint the town red.
      Tại sao lại là paint red ? Nếu theo cowboy thời xưa thì hình như paint red thì bắn súng tùm lum máu me đầy town có vẻ hợp lý :P. Cái này em hơi thắc mắc thôi, em cũng search sơ sơ mà hok thấy
      Khoảng cách giữa bạn và ước mơ của bạn là bao xa ?

Comment

Originally posted by 09520019 View Post
        hỏi anh Long cậu này phát: anh Long có cái nào giải thích nguồn gốc của idom ko ? (Ko cần quá chi tiết), vì em mới gặp câu này:

"Let's go out and paint the town red":

Tại sao lại là paint red ? Nếu theo cowboy thời xưa thì hình như paint red thì bắn súng tùm lum máu me đầy town có vẻ hợp lý :P. Cái này em hơi thắc mắc thôi, em cũng search sơ sơ mà hok thấy
        Ý em là Idiom phải không, "cái" ở đây là trang Web giải thích nguồn gốc các thành-tục ngữ thì anh chịu , vì mấy câu nói này bạt ngàn nên không ai bỏ thời gian ra thống kê hết được đâu^^

Còn cái câu vì sao là "paint red" mà không phải màu khác thì anh mới tìm ra lời giải thích như sau :

By repute, in 1837, when celebrating a successful fox hunt, Lord Waterford and his party found several tins of red paint which they daubed liberally on to the buildings of the High Street of Melton Mowbray so originating the phrase "painting the town red."
        By repute, in 1837, when celebrating a successful fox hunt, Lord Waterford and his party found several tins of red paint which they daubed liberally on to the buildings of the High Street of Melton Mowbray so originating the phrase "painting the town red."

Câu này liên quan đến cuộc đi săn chứ hình như không phải cao bồi

Comment

29/ Barking dogs seldom bite
          Giải thích :

"Chó sủa là chó không cắn" (nước ngoài họ cẩn thận hơn nên dùng chữ seldom )
          Những người đao to búa lớn, ăn nói ghê gớm kỳ thực lại không phải là những kẻ đáng sợ (cũng không chắc, nhưng im im có lẽ nguy hiểm hơn) . Tục ngữ này xếp những "Barking dogs" vào loại"thùng rỗng kêu to"

Don't be afraid of dogs that bark or people that threaten you (say they will do something bad to you) - in both cases they rarely take action.

Ví dụ :

Geez, there're some bullies in my new school . They has threaten me and said they would beat the shit out of me T_T
          - Don't worry bro, "Barking dogs seldom bite" . But if they really bite, I'll be there for you .
          Last edited by 08520206; 06-03-2012, 19:24.

Comment

30/ Beauty is only skin deep
            Giải thích :

"Tốt gỗ hơn tốt nước sơn
            Tốt người đẹp nết còn hơn đẹp người" , các cụ đã dạy như thế .

Vẻ đẹp thực sự ẩn chứa bên trong mỗi chúng ta

Physical beauty is superficial.
            Vì vậy đừng vội đánh giá ai qua vẻ ngoài bạn nhé, bạn có thể chỉ tốn 1 ngày để yêu quý ai đó, nhưng sẽ mất cả đời để thực sự hiểu họ .

Mình rất thích bài này, mời các bạn lắng nghe Beautiful của Bosson

Các bạn chú ý lyric song ngữ nhé, bạn ấy dịch rất hay ^^

Last edited by 08520206; 19-01-2012, 06:03.

Comment

31/ Beggars can't be choosers
              Giải thích :

Kẻ ăn xin thì không có quyền chọn lựa, cho gì thì nhận nấy .
              Một người khi nhận sự giúp đỡ của người khác cũng vậy, đừng nên đòi hỏi hay phàn nàn khi đã được người khác hỗ trợ .

This idiom means that people who are in great need must accept any help that is offered, even if it is not a complete solution to their problems.
              If someone gives you something you asked for, you should not complain about what you get

Ví dụ :

a/ I asked Joe to lend me his bicycle, and he sent me this old, rusty one. But beggars can't be choosers.

b/ Jill: Let me wear your green dress; I don't like the blue one you lent me. Jane: Beggars can't be choosers.

Last edited by 08520206; 19-01-2012, 06:11.

Comment

hehe mới thấy cái này ~> bổ sung vào bộ sưu tập luôn (vì trước tới h hiểu sai nghĩa =.= ) ~> trước h ko bik cái này là idiom mới đau :| http://idioms.thefreedictionary.com/can't+help

can't help + Ving (can't help something also cannot help something) / can't help but do + something
                Explaination: to not be able to control or stop something
                Giải thích: không thể dừng lại được

Ví dụ: A lot of kids daydream in school. They just can't help it.
                I couldn't help but notice that the table is a bit wobbly.
                With such good oranges, we can't help buying (but buy) two kilos at a time.
                Last edited by 09520019; 25-01-2012, 17:55.
                Khoảng cách giữa bạn và ước mơ của bạn là bao xa ?

Comment

32/ Better late than never
                  Giải thích :

Muộn còn hơn không .

something that you say which means it is better for someone or something to be late than never to arrive or to happen

Ví dụ :

a/ I'm sorry I'm late to the party. Better late than never, right? Jill: Lisa's birthday was two weeks ago.

b/ Should I send her a card now? Jane: Better late than never.

33/ Better safe than sorry

Giải thích :

something that you say which means it is best not to take risks even if it seems boring or hard work to be careful
                  An toàn là trên hết, ăn chắc mặc bền .

Ví dụ :

I'll hold the ladder while you climb up. Better safe than sorry.

Xem thêm :

The largest dictionary of idioms and phrases currently in use in British, American and Australian English. Over 12,000 phrases and expressions.

? : các bạn có thấy 2 tục ngữ trên thiếu gì không ?
                  Last edited by 08520206; 02-02-2012, 11:32.

Comment

34/ Better die with honor than live with shame
                    Giải thích :

Câu này quá rõ nghĩa rồi, "Chết vinh còn hơn sống nhục"

35/ Better the devil you know than the devil you don't know

This is the shortened form of the full idiom, 'better the devil you know than the devil you don't', and means that it is often better to deal with someone or something you are familiar with and know, even if they are not ideal, than take a risk with an unknown person or thing
                    What does the idiom 'Better the devil you know' mean? Discover the definition of 'Better the devil you know' in our extensive dictionary of English idioms and idiomatic expressions.

something that you say to mean it is better to deal with a person or thing you know, even if you do not like them, than to deal with a new person or thing who could be even worse
                    Definition of better the devil you know in the Idioms Dictionary by The Free Dictionary

Ví dụ :

jmo0065l.jpg

I know Mike can be difficult to work with sometimes, but better the devil you know.

Last edited by 08520206; 06-03-2012, 19:32.

Comment

LHQC

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X